Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bjorn Melhus/Sandy Skoglund


I've been in talks with a friend about collaborating on a book somehow related to Star Trek. With the way we both work, he writing and me doing what I do, I can't imagine that the references will be too clear. But I just happened last weekend onto a video at the Denver Art Museum about an artist names Bjorn Melhus. After seeing his piece "Captain" I haven't been able to think about much else besides Captain Kirk pastiche and b-movie not-so special effects. Little details are important, and right down to the background noises or the faint musical dramatic flare, I found that the video was funny, confounding, and right out ridiculous. Something nice when you've just passed through a giant red room full of playful gray foxes that are smiling. Sandy Skoglund really transformed the space for her installation, and we were truly immersed.


http://www.denverartmuseum.org/home

No comments:

Post a Comment