Thursday, April 2, 2009

Looking forward, looking back



Sometimes we gain something in losing. Sometimes we don't win, but end up ahead after all. As an artist you have to be okay about rejection. You have to toss aside a rejection letter like it's nothing; as if nothing had happened. "You didn't lose. It's more like you didn't win, that's all," says someone very close to me. In being rejected from an exhibition recently, I was round-about invited to take part in a print exchange through Joe Loccisano, the gallery manager at Manatee Community College Fine Art Gallery in Bradenton, Florida. I rarely turn down opportunities, which can make for problems sometimes, but this post is about the process and print that resulted for this show and print portfolio exchange.

Our task for this print exchange, an edition of 20 prints, was to honor Dolores Black, the maker of the flag that stands on the moon. The title of the exchange is Black Flag on the Moon, which to me generates many images, especially flags, space suits, rockets, the shuttle, etc.
Much of my work begins intuitively, but I find it is always the case that once you begin playing around, things fall into place quickly after. In this case, I began with a simple image from the moon landing. The astronaut was saluting a flag, surrounded by the black vacuum of space. As I began to cut up copies of the first photo, I started to see many interesting compositions.



Red became an interesting color to me, and I knew that I wanted to do a multi-plate intaglio, so it was a matter of working things out. The red originated from a manila folder I was using to hold the copies. When I had cut out enough and I saw this image before me, it was enough to push to the end.



In the final print, titled "Looking forward, looking back," I thought I would incorporate parts of space history. I researched the lunar lander, the International Space Station, nuclear missiles, Chinese astronauts, and even some pop images. Being from New Mexico, I had to include Virgin Galactic and Spaceship One. So the final piece took shape and using toner transfers onto zinc plates, I made this final piece. The final edition is around 23 and I may make some color variations to see what else I can get from this piece, but I am pleased with the piece. As it was for an exchange, I hope that the other participants enjoy it as well. I look forward to seeing their pieces for this show as well. You can see the print in person at the Manatee Community College Art Gallery in Bradenton, Florida this May 29th. Or you can swing by my studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment